Monday, August 2, 2010

Michael Kors Fabric...Hot Red!

I met my first Fashion Week designer!!!  Recently my husband decided to go with me fabric shopping...and if you know my husband, then you know that's a miracle...I almost fainted!  This is something he absolutely hates...waiting on me in a fabric store!  Really excited about this, I decided to do something a little different and Googled fabric stores in the area and went to one I've never been to before.  This turned out to be an AWESOME idea!  We went to a place called Queen's Fabric by Marisu Maranda.  When I walked in the door, I told my husband I was in heaven!  Not only did they have the most beautiful fabrics I've ever laid eyes on, they had goregous garments everywhere in the store.  Some on dress forms and some on racks. This was the store of fashion designer Marisu Miranda and I had no clue! 

All of the garments in the store, were designed and made by her.  She also designs her own fabrics too! There were photos of her recent Fashion Week (in Spain) runway designs adorning the walls of the store.  You could have knocked me over with a feather...I was really like the kid in the candy store!  I couldn't believe she was based right here in Tampa, FL and I didn't know it!!
Well if that wasn't enough shock for me, guess who comes walking out of the back of the store?  Marisu Maranda herself!!!  We talked for quite some time and I told her I blog about sewing and just came in to browse fabrics.  She politely walked me over to take a look at her latest fabrics, some Michael Kors 100% silk jersey in about 5 different colors.  They all looked like little jewels...but the red called my name, so I purchased it.  I told Marisu I'd definitely be back, (not real often though, my wallet is a little too small for the extremely expensive fabrics!) but I just loved being in the store for inspiration!

Here's the fabric I purchased from her store....

It's really soft and silky with a 2-way stretch, very light weight too.  This will be my first time working with 100% silk jersey and hopefully, it won't be my last!  As I stated in my last post, I had already decided to make Butterick 5495. (review my muslin post below).  I decided to add some trim to the bottom of this top just for that little "me" affect!  I think it turned out kind of cute but now I'm second guessing myself and thinking about removing the trim. 


What do you think?  Doesn't the trim make it look more like a night shirt???  My hubbie says no and I should leave it as is!  Let me know what you all think??  

I need your honest opinions! Anxiously waiting...Happy Sewing!

19 comments:

  1. Ok, how lucky of you to find a new store! That rarely happens! How long have you been in Tampa?

    Well Myra, your fabric is beautiful! I can tell from the photos, it's rich! And aren't you glad you did a muslin! Even with the lace trim, your top looks trendy and dressy, but lace trim is not my personal style! The lace trim also makes your top longer. Overall, the lace trim gives it a camisole vibe instead of a top vibe. And that's my modest opinion! Did you get the trim from the same store? It's a perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks HLT! I've been in Tampa 14 years. (I'm what they call a "snow bird" turned "implant")

    I truly do love this fabric and thinking about getting more for something entirely different, despite the high price tag! Thank you so very much for being honest about the trim! It really bothers me and I will probably change it. I did not purchase the trim...my neighborhood gave it to me from a top she had and it's pure luck it was silk and the same color! If I change it, I will probably do a brief post on it. Thanks again, I really value your opinion because I love your work too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful fabric and the color is awesome. I think the lace trim is too much for such a rich looking fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myra, your fabric is GORGEOUS! It oozes luxury and glides over you perfectly, a very nice pattern choice as well. I would remove the lace because it takes away from the elegance and draws the eye right to your hips instead of leaving it on your smiling face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww thanks Myra! If you don't love it, you know what you have to do! Great point Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alethia, Nicole thanks ladies for your nice comments and honest opinions! This trim is sooo out of here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! The color and the style are really beautiful on you. I love silk jersey. It just feels so yummy on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the trim, its matches the fabric perfect and it makes the pattern unique to you, I don't think much people would had a trim and that is what's special about yours. I think the trim is so pretty and it looks expensive other than night shirt laces that can look so cheap

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much Linda! It does feel "yummy" on, that's why I'm definitely going to buy more!

    Toy, thank you for your kind honest opinion, that's the original reason I added the trim, so it would be "unique". Unfortunately, after adding it, I didn't feel the same way. It felt as if it took away from the top. If you're not comfortable wearing something, you won't wear it well! Thanks again everyone for all your wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That fabric store sounds wonderful - no wonder you thought you were in heaven! I love the fabric that you chose and it looks so beautiful made into that top. It suits you perfectly - and I think that the trim is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This fabric is simply beautiful and can easily stand alone. Luxury usually doesn't need much added to it. Your pattern choice and the color is awesome on you.

    (I re-posted, I left out a couple words, that's what I get for being in a hurry)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Myra, What a fun discovery, that new fabric store! I would have been in heaven too. Sounds like you have probably already decided on the lace trim, but thought I would chime in. I love the red top and it looks very luxurious. I agree with Nicole. While it is a beautiful trim, your eye goes right to it, thus taking away from the classic, sleek, beauty of the top alone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Between the color and your 1000 watt smile, you don't need the trim!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The top is gorgeous and like the trim, but if you are not comfortable with it remove it and it will still be a gorgeous top.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's great you got to find such a spectacular store with even more spectacular fabric. I love the red silk jersey. It's perfect for your top. It's such a rich color and gives the top a great drape!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The trim is beautiful, but I think it draws too much of the focus away from the top itself. That fabric is gorgeous and really deserves to have the spotlight all to itself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Myra!

    How are you? I love the shirt!! You look soooooo nice! I would leave the trim off.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is very interesting, You are a very
    skilled blogger. I've joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I've shared your website
    in my social networks!
    Look at my homepage ; hives cure

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....