Saturday, May 21, 2011

Another Tunic

I made another tunic and I now think I know why I don't like certain tunics on me!  This one looks really nice, and fits well, but there was something about the way it looked on me and at first, I couldn't figure it out.  But then, I had what Oprah calls the "ah ha moment!"  Here's the review:

I used Butterick pattern 5496, view B (yellow)...
I used a washable, 100% silk leopard style print from Mood fabrics.  I love the flow of this fabric, it's really nice (and now wish I had used it for something with really pretty ruffles!)

Pattern sizing is XS to XXL, I made a medium.

The instructions were very, very easy and can be made up in a few hours for a quick top!  You know me, this was what I liked most about the pattern!!  No real dislikes other than my impression of how it looks on me and I don't think the pattern has anything to do with that!

Pattern alterations...just had to put "my style" touch in there somewhere!  I shirred the shoulder seams a little by creating two rows of elastic casing and inserting 1/2" width elastic.  This was done totally for the look alone and I love the way the sleeves looked on me, this part was great!  I also gave the bottom a "shirt tail" style...

The pattern instructs you to create a casing for 3/4" wide elastic at the waist.  I changed this to 3 rows of 1/2" wide elastic instead.  Again, this was done for the look alone and I think it turned out nice...

I belted it on "Ms. Thing" (a new name for my dressform - pet name came from my husband...thank you honey!!)  and I have to admit, this top looks a whole lot better on Ms. Thing that it does me!  

It's really a very nice pattern, easy to sew, comfortable and very stylish on someone else...just not for me.  I really believe I feel this way because I'm so "short-waisted".  I think it would look better on me if I made it a little shorter and removed the elastic in the waist altogether, no belt or anything.  I really think it's defining the waist on tunics that bother me ("ah ha moment")!   It looks fabulous on others, just not on me :(   I'll probably keep this one (I love the fabric!) and wear it from time to time when I don't have anything else I want to wear, who knows...it might even grow on me!!


I truly value the opinion of my "awesome" readers and would love for you to let me know what you think about this top.  

20 comments:

  1. I love this tunic on you. The fabric and fit are great. With the hair up you look very chic. I think you've inspired me to make a tunic this weekend! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your point. I'm short too and always wonder if I should make height adjustments. But I tend to do that with footwear. But it is a nice tunic and I see nothing truly wrong with how it looks on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this looks great on you! In fact, I think I'll go buy the pattern. ~ Peggy http://peggyscloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with the others, Myra, this looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it looks really good on you! You are your worst critic. The sleeve change is cute! I love the fabric too...go get some more and do something up with ruffles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone else. This top does look very good on you. I did notice that you normally wear more fitted garments so with you being use to that it might make you feel this way about this blouse and it being blousey. Wear it around the house for a while and think about it but don't think too hard. If you're still not crazy about, try tapering it a little to take some of the blouseyness out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how you feel! The fabric looks and sounds luxurious. The tunic is beautifully sewn. I think it looks very nice on you. I wonder if you would feel like you look less short-waisted if you didn't belt it? The belt breaks up the flow of the long line. Have you tried a self-tie belt or a belt in a lighter color if you don't like the tunic on its own?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how it looks on you. I'm even going to run out for this pattern now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Myra, Myra that is so cute. I do feel that there is a tunic somewhere in my very near future if I can ever get this jacket finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's too bad that you don't really care for your tunic. I absolutely love the fabric on you! I never know the rules when it comes to waist definition either, and I am 5'7!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That tunic looks great on you! Well made garment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOOOOOOOh! You are a.DOR.able in your new made-by-Myra tunic! Can I borrow that for the rest of this year please?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, no, I can't even imagine you not liking how this looks. I love it on you. It might feel a little full but the fabric seems to have plenty of drape that it's not billowing out of proportion. How abut putting it away for a week or two and trying it later with rested eyes?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a short waist line myself and I made this top also. I think this is a great top for us, I do agree with shorting the lengh of it, I think I may have even stated that in my review. But most of my items I have to shorten due to my height and short waist. Wear your beatiful top with pride, it looks very good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only thing I'd do to add to this very cute tunic is add a lovely necklace to bring the attention up to your pretty face. That's it, then it would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great looking tunic. You wear it well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely blouse and agree with Ki and also have to be conscious of the length of certain tops because I am short-waisted as well.

    Hoping all is well and you are absent because you are enjoying the Hot days of Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! Your top is stunning and uh-oh, you enabled me to add this pattern to my wishlist! Very nice style on you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The dress with the red belt: the belt jacked up the dress either in the front or the back. I just didn't feel comfortable with it on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your beautiful new tunic looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....