Sunday, December 4, 2016

My First Sleeveless Duster

I started seeing these sleeveless dusters being worn around my area. They peaked my interest, especially since it doesn't get extremely cold here in Florida.  I thought these were a nice look for fall/winter paired with long sleeve sweaters and tees.  I think this is something that can be dressed up or down!

 
So I set out to make one for myself… I got the idea when I made my Burgundy colored, two piece dress on a previous blog post you can see here.  I'll show you that burgundy set with my new duster shortly. First let's talk about the duster...

I started with a commercial pattern for the base. Although, my resulting duster doesn't look anything like the commercial pattern, LOL!   I used McCall's 3796 and I selected view D (the rust colored one).  Now this one is out of print, but can be found on Etsy, Ebay and other websites.  However, ANY jacket pattern will do just fine depending on how you want your end results.

 
The fabric is from my stash and was purchased from Joanne (I cannot remember when).  It's a very lightweight wool blend with a slight stretch.  I would call the color "taupe".  This is one of those great times when I paired the right pattern with the right fabric…thank you Lord!  

Because this is a muslin, I decided not to line it. (And I live in Florida, doesn't have to be line either...too hot at times!) I will be making another in black and it will be lined.  Sewing this one was such a so much!  I only ran into a couple of very minor issues that I decided not to correct because this is my muslin and I love the way it looks as is! (Yes, I plan on wearing it!)

The two minor issues were…

The Duster has an "over the shoulder and back panel" which was totally self drafted by me.  On the next one I will make this panel about 2 inches longer to come just over the bust.

Secondly, the commercial pattern I used had an extended shoulder, I assume for shoulder pads on this particular jacket.  I didn't realize how much they extend out until after I had sewn the facing in! (That's too much for me to take out and adjust... and I just don't want to because I'm being lazy!). I have adjusted my pattern for the future and there definitely will be another!

 
  
 
I love the back of this vest!! 
 
Here's a much more casual look (I think I need a new pair of flats...my old ballerina's have seen better days!!)

 
Actually on phone w/ son...called during photo shoot! 
 
I can't say how much I love this Duster!  It's a nice trendy piece to add to my wardrobe and it was so fun to sew as well!  What's the last trendy piece you created for your wardrobe?

As always, thanks so much for stopping by and sharing a little of your time with me!  It's truly appreciated!!

Happy Sewing!

30 comments:

  1. that is really cute, and while trendy I think it is something you will wear for a good long while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth!! I agree, that's why I making another and may make several for the summer as well! I really do love it!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is a fantastic piece. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you "mountain woman"! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. AWESOME! That is so great! I see what additional changes you can make only because you mentioned them...and you know how you always say you're going to copy me? Well I'm returning the favor and copying this...cause it's just what I've been wanting too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFLMBO!!!! Thank you Ms. Carolyn!! Please do, I'm really excited about seeing yours as well! That's what we're all about right? Inspiration to others!!

      Delete
  4. Totally LOVE this: on trend and so wearable. Great colour as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, trendy and classic. I will add to my longgg sewing list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mariela!! I have one of this long sewing list too!

      Delete
  6. Love the duster! I see what you mean about the extended shoulders, but I don't think they didn't detract from the garment at all. Super cute, Myra!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aisha! I will make the change on the shoulder for the next one so you can compare the difference!

      Delete
  7. This is INSANE!!!!! Oh my gosh I love everything about it. The fit. The color. The buttons. The details.

    It's so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Ms. Nakisha! I love it too and can't wait to get started on my second one!

      Delete
  8. That back panel, belt and belt loops really took your garment to top level Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! You're so sweet Ms. Faye, thank you!! I do love this!

      Delete
  9. Love this! I think the extended shoulder works well with this kind of design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! That's why I decided to keep and wear this muslin, because it doesn't look bad!

      Delete
  10. OK so I was wondering what my next project would be! I got it! I have a long vest/duster pattern that has been waiting on me for quite sometime!! Love it and thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Carol! And you're very welcome too! We inspire each other!

      Delete
  11. Fabulous duster and like the details.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your duster is perfect, and I love it!!! I've been seeing this style too, and you nailed it. I can't believe this is your muslin!!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Vanessa! Yes, it is my muslin because I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out… But it is totally wearable! Now I just have to run out and get the perfect black fabric to make my next one!

      Delete
  13. Wow this turned out very well. I just love the inspirations Your rendition is spot on and I like the idea of the extra shoulder width. I know that a little too much for you, but I actually like it. Total win Myra!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Andrea! I agree! The extended shoulder is too much for me but it doesn't look that bad on!

      Delete
  14. Your duster turned out fantastic! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your creativity is just amazing! I love the whole look. Totally beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I truly enjoy making my own clothes!

      Delete

It truly makes me happy to hear from you....